Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bible Reading Made Easy

The way I started reading my Bible every day was by reading Proverbs. My father-in-law suggested it because there are 31 chapters, so you can read a chapter a day and that will take you through the whole book in a month. It's easy to keep track of, and having a sense of accomplishment right away is helpful. After working through the book four times, I really wanted to expand and experience the rest of the Bible. In the previous 10 years I had managed to read through the Bible perhaps twice, over a long period of time. But after starting simply by doing Proverbs chapter by chapter, I was hungry for more of the change in my outlook that I had experienced in those four months of daily Bible reading.

Just like any new habit, the key to sticking with it is to avoid biting off too much to chew at the beginning. Start with too much ambition and you're likely to get discouraged. It's more important to start and stick with it than it is to accomplish a certain goal right away. So where do you go after Proverbs? Or should you start somewhere else? There's no right or wrong place. The entire Bible is valuable. Listen to how Paul cherished it: "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

So all Scripture is useful, and you can start wherever you are most interested. If it helps to have a suggestion, I recommend starting with Matthew 1 and going through all four Gospels at whatever pace works for you - even just half a chapter a day. Spending time listening to and observing Jesus each day will do amazing things for your life.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Sometimes I marvel at the grace of God to moms as we teach our kids bible verses. How often those small verses have ministered to my heart and stuck with me week in and week out at times when my own Bible reading seemed not to stick.

I'm so grateful for His Word! Thanks for these posts!

Anthony Bushnell said...

Thanks, Abigail! I appreciate your taking the time to read them and comment!

It seems that one of the blessings of having children is getting to see things new through their eyes, when ours have grown dim because we're too busy looking at the weeds and thistles in life. "Unless you receive the kingdom of heaven like a little child..."

It's amazing how much our kids teach us.